Position Title: Junior Project Electrical Engineer
Junior Project Electrical Engineer
- Application Release Date: 13 November 2023
- Application Closing Date: 31 November 2023
- Preferred Commencement Date: 08 January 2024
Zero Point Energy Company Introduction
Zero Point Energy is a proudly South African & Level 1 BBBEE sustainability-focused engineering company founded in 2015. We provide bespoke designs, consulting engineering & turn-key EPC solutions in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, and backup power. Our focus is in the Southern African commercial, industrial, public, agricultural and residential sectors. Our vision is to be a leader in the provision of net-zero sustainability engineering solutions across Africa, with a mission to make sustainability simpler and cheaper for our clients, and to empower their journey towards net-zero energy consumption and environmental impact.
We are a rapidly growing QSE company with a proven project track record, with national & industry-acclaimed accreditations and successes, comprising of an experienced & effective team. Our clientele consist of blue chip corporates, national and regional public entities, as well as repeat private businesses and individuals who have confidence and trust in the Zero Point Energy brand. To date we are on track to making our vision a success. Given the company’s recent upward growth trajectory and confirmed pipeline of commercial, industrial and residential projects, we are looking for a full-time Junior Project Electrical Engineer to join us on this exciting journey in 2024 and beyond, to contribute and add value to both the company and their own career development in the niche and massively expanding sustainability-focused engineering & projects space that we operate in.
Junior Project Electrical Engineer Roles & Responsibilities:
- Gain theoretical and practical knowledge across the project life cycle of sustainable engineering projects, in the related technologies: solar PV, battery storage, energy efficiency, electrical reticulation, distribution and generation.
- Job shadow senior company personnel and participate in structured and un-structured learning from senior personnel and other engineers in the company until able to function independently.
- Attend site visits to assess installation requirements, install data loggers, compile site assessment reports, and take physical measurements for potential projects.
- Develop project proposals, high level designs and cost estimates based on site assessments or potential client provided data under supervision of senior team members
- On projects in execution, assist in co-ordination between engineering team and project installation teams on site so that projects are executed in line with company procedures & engineering specifications
- Assist senior project management in on-site decision making when engineering changes or challenges come up
- Assist with project electrical quality assurance/quality control and commissioning of solar PV, battery and electrical systems on site under guidance from senior engineers.
- Responsible for developing project close-out documentation with end-clients and interface between installation team and design engineering team to generate final set of drawings & documentation on installation projects under supervision of senior engineering team members
- Execute CAD drawings, design calculations and engineering documentation with input from and under supervision of senior engineers
- Pro-actively expand knowledge-base in areas of Zero Point Energy and personal interest.
- Be involved in company research and design initiatives and provide input to enhance body of knowledge within the company.
- Work well independently and in project teams, and ability to manage site installation teams independently
- Attend company training if and when necessary and aspire towards following ECSA career development guidelines and attain Pr.Eng/ Pr.Tech.Eng registration under mentorship of company professional engineers.
- Report to employer premises on a daily basis, but able to attend and be stationed at site meetings/project sites nationally if and when necessary.
- Manage and execute operational & maintenance electrical tasks on completed projects if and when they arise g. fault finding, client call-outs, firmware updates, equipment warrantee claims, remote monitoring connectivity issues, etc under supervision of senior company personnel.
- Types of projects that will be involved in include:
- Greenfields projects – new sustainable engineering projects
- Brownfields projects – add-ons or upgrades to previous infrastructure projects taken on by the company
- Operational & Maintenance projects – routine monthly and ad-hoc corrective O&M projects where the company is contracted to execute maintenance projects with existing customers
Experience & Qualifications Requirements
- Tertiary level qualification in electrical engineering mandatory (B.Sc.Eng or B.Tech. Eng or B.Eng – Electrical)
- Driver’s licence will be highly advantageous, own vehicle will be advantageous
- Previous renewable energy and/or electrical distribution work experience will be advantageous
- Position will report in a matrix structure to Head of Commercial Projects (line manager) and to Senior Project Managers/Engineers on a project basis
General Candidate Requirements:
- Candidate will be based at Company head office located at 2 Clamart Street, Richmond, Johannesburg but will be expected to work and co-ordinate activities at project sites across South Africa and in neighbouring countries if and when required
- Must be able to work well independently as well as within company teams to execute projects successfully
- Must be driven to perform, willing to take on responsibility and able to make decisions independently
- Able to participate in structured and un-structured learning & training if and when they come up from time to time
- Pro-actively expand knowledge-base in areas of Zero Point Energy and personal interest
- Be involved in company initiatives to optimise company processes & systems and provide input when required
- Contribute and develop systems & processes in areas of experience and increase knowledge-base of the company
- Willing to learn and be able to pick up new skills and knowledge of industry quickly and effectively
- Able to provide contactable references for prior work experience validation, proof of residence, successful police clearance, valid qualifications and accreditations
- Initially, 6 to 12 month contract (depending on work experience) with option to extend to full-time role (performance dependent) with initial 3-month’s being a probation period
- Salary negotiable – industry related and dependent on experience
Please submit CVs with qualifications and supporting documentation together with brief motivation covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject reference “Job Application – ZPE Junior Project Electrical Engineer Nov 2023 – [Your name]”.
Other Available Jobs
Zero Point Energy