Release Date: 03 July 2022
Zero Point Energy Company Introduction
Zero Point Energy is a proudly South African & Level 1 BBBEE sustainability-focused engineering company founded in 2015. We provide bespoke designs, consulting engineering & turn-key EPC solutions in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, off-grid and backup power. Our focus is in the Southern African commercial, industrial, public, agricultural and residential sectors. Our vision is to be a leader in the provision of net-zero sustainability engineering solutions across Africa, with a mission to make sustainability simpler and cheaper for our clients, and to empower their journey towards net-zero energy consumption and environmental impact.
We are a rapidly growing QSE company with a proven project track record, accreditations and successes, comprising of an experienced yet still small & effective team. To date we are punching well above our weight on our way to making our vision a success. However, given our growth trajectory and confirmed pipeline of projects, we are looking for a Junior Project Electrical Engineer to join us on this exciting journey in 2022 and beyond, to contribute and add value to both the company and their own career development in the niche and massively expanding sustainability-focused engineering & projects space that we operate in.
Junior Project Electrical Engineer Roles & Responsibilities:
- Gain theoretical and practical knowledge across the project life cycle of sustainable engineering projects, in the related technologies: solar PV, battery storage, energy efficiency, electrical reticulation, distribution and generation.
- Job shadow senior company personnel and participate in structured and un-structured learning from senior personnel and other engineers in the company until able to function independently.
- Attend site visits to assess installation requirements, install data loggers, complete site questionnaires, and measurements for potential projects.
- Develop project proposals, high level designs and cost estimates based on site assessments or potential client provided data in alignment with sales & marketing team.
- On projects in execution, responsible for interface between design engineering team and project installation team on site, and ensuring installations are executed in line with engineering designs and to assist in on-site decision making when engineering changes or challenges come up.
- Responsible for project electrical quality assurance/quality control and commissioning of solar PV, battery and electrical systems on site under guidance from senior engineers.
- Responsible for project close-out documentation with end-clients and interface between installation team and design engineering team to generate final set of drawings & documentation on installation projects..
- Execute CAD drawings, design calculations and engineering documentation for projects, based on high-level design inputs from senior engineers
- Pro-actively expand knowledge-base in areas of Zero Point Energy and personal interest.
- Be involved in company research and design initiatives and provide input to enhance body of knowledge within the company.
- Work well independently and in project teams, often managing site installation teams.
- Attend company training if and when necessary and aspire towards following ECSA career development guidelines and attain Pr.Eng registration under mentorship of company professional engineers.
- Report to employer premises on a daily basis, but able to attend and be stationed at site meetings/project sites if and when necessary.
- Manage and execute operational & maintenance electrical tasks on completed projects if and when they arise e.g. fault finding, client call-outs, firmware updates, equipment warrantee claims, remote monitoring connectivity issues, etc under supervision of senior company personnel.
- Types of projects that will be involved in include:
- Greenfields projects – new sustainable engineering projects
- Brownfields projects – add-ons or upgrades to previous infrastructure projects taken on by the company
- Operational & Maintenance projects – routine monthly and ad-hoc corrective O&M projects where the company is contracted to execute maintenance projects with existing customers
- Tertiary level qualification in electrical engineering mandatory (B.Sc.Eng or B.Tech. Eng or B.Eng – Electrical)
- Previous renewable energy and/or electrical distribution work experience will be advantageous
- Matrix reporting structure – Position will report to Head of Projects in the corporate structure, but may also report to different Project Manager/Engineer on an individual projects basis
General Candidate Requirements:
- Candidate will be based at Company head office located at 50 Richmond Avenue, Auckland Park, Johannesburg but will be expected to work and co-ordinate activities at project sites across South Africa and in neighbouring countries if and when required
- Must be able to work well independently as well as within company teams to execute projects successfully
- Must be driven to perform, willing to take on responsibility and able to make decisions independently
- Able to participate in structured and un-structured learning & training if and when they come up from time to time
- Pro-actively expand knowledge-base in areas of Zero Point Energy and personal interest
- Be involved in company initiatives to optimise company processes & systems and provide input when required
- Contribute and develop systems & processes in areas of experience and increase knowledge-base of the company
- Willing to learn and be able to pick up new skills and knowledge of industry quickly and effectively
- Able to provide contactable references for prior experience checks
- Remuneration package will be based on a base salary + lucrative project profit-share basis linked to performance on projects
- Initially, 12-month contract with option to extend to full-time role (performance dependent) with initial 3-month’s being a probation period
Please submit CVs and brief motivation covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject reference “Job Application – ZPE Junior Project Electrical Engineer – [Your name]”.
Closing date: 17 July 2022