Release Date: 04 July 2022
Zero Point Energy Company Introduction
Zero Point Energy is a proudly South African & Level 1 BBBEE sustainability-focused engineering company founded in 2015. We provide bespoke designs, consulting engineering & turn-key EPC solutions in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy storage, off-grid and backup power. Our focus is in the Southern African commercial, industrial, public, agricultural and residential sectors. Our vision is to be a leader in the provision of net-zero sustainability engineering solutions across Africa, with a mission to make sustainability simpler and cheaper for our clients, and to empower their journey towards net-zero energy consumption and environmental impact.
We are a rapidly growing QSE company with a proven project track record, accreditations and successes, comprising of an experienced yet still small & effective team. To date we are punching well above our weight on our way to making our vision a success. However, given our growth trajectory and confirmed pipeline of projects, we are looking for a Head of Operations & Construction to join us on this exciting journey in 2022 and beyond, to contribute and add value to both the company and their own career development in the niche and massively expanding sustainability-focused engineering space that we operate in.
Head of Operations & Construction Roles & Responsibilities:
- Must have practical hands-on construction experience, SH&E experience, as well as operational & logistics knowledge & experience across all project life cycles of sustainable engineering projects execution in the related technologies: solar PV (roof-top + ground-mount), battery storage, energy efficiency, electrical reticulation technology.
- Must have excellent technical understanding of sustainable engineering projects, mechanical & civil design requirements including solar PV mounting structures (ground-mount, roof-top, carports), plinth & foundation design, inverter & battery mounting design, cable routing & management systems, roof, wall & floor penetration requirements, containerised & conventional substation mechanical & civil requirements.
- Must have excellent project & operational co-ordinating skills and ability to manage project requirements across multiple projects and multiple stakeholders incl. clients & their site representatives, suppliers, internal management, internal project team and external sub-contractors.
- Must have excellent oral and written digital communications skills (email, MS Excel, MS Projects, MS Powerpoint, Whatsapp, MS Teams, etc) and have high EQ (emotional intelligence) to manage clients, teams and sub-contractors well under sometimes demanding and pressurised situations on site .
- Will be responsible for co-ordinating the following on projects in execution:
- Manage & co-ordinate mechanical & civil personnel teams and requirements on projects in line with Project Manager requirements for sites
- Manage Team logistics and scheduling of deliveries on projects
- Manage SH&E and PPE requirements co-ordination on site and for internal team
- Management & co-ordination of hand & power tools requirement for internal operational & projects teams
- Management of civil & mechanical spares, inventory, accessories on site and returns to company storage
- Mechanical & civil quality assurance and quality control on projects
- Types of projects that will be involved in include:
- Greenfields projects – new sustainable engineering projects
- Brownfields projects – add-ons or upgrades to previous infrastructure projects taken on by the company
- Operational & Maintenance projects – routine monthly O&M projects where the company is contracted to execute maintenance projects with existing customers
- Attend site visits to assess mechanical/civil construction, SH&E, operational & logistics requirements, write site assessment reports, and conduct measurements that can be packaged and handed over to Business Development lead for further processing internally.
- Development of project mechanical/civil/SH&E Bills of Quantities, and cost estimates based on site requirements and provide input to Project Manager/Engineer for procurement and planning requirements.
- Fulfilment of construction management role on projects in execution, managing interfaces between site personnel and project management team
- Responsible for quality assurance/quality control, Safety, Health& Environmental (SH&E) requirements on execution projects
- Minimum work experience: 7-8 years in a similar position(s) in a construction project execution companies or similar. Contactable references required
- Tertiary level qualifications in project management / SH&E and/or construction management will be advantageous
- Matrix reporting structure – Reports to Managing Director in the corporate structure, but will also report to Head of Project(s) on an individual projects basis
General Candidate Requirements:
- Candidate will be based at Company head office located at 50 Richmond Avenue, Auckland Park, Johannesburg but will be expected to work and co-ordinate activities for project sites across South Africa and in neighbouring countries if and when required
- Must be able to work well independently as well as within company teams to execute projects successfully
- Must be driven to perform, willing to take on responsibility and able to make decisions independently
- Able to participate in structured and un-structured learning & training if and when they come up from time to time
- Pro-actively expand knowledge-base in areas of Zero Point Energy and personal interest
- Be involved in company initiatives to optimise company processes & systems and provide input when required
- Contribute and develop systems & processes in areas of experience and increase knowledge-base of the company
- Willing to learn and be able to pick up new skills and knowledge of industry quickly and effectively
- Able to provide contactable references for prior experience checks
- Remuneration package will be based on a base salary + lucrative project profit-share basis linked to performance on projects
- Initially, 12-month contract with option to extend (performance dependent) with initial 3-month’s being a probation period
Please submit CVs and brief motivation covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject reference “Job Application – ZPE Head of Project Operations & Construction – [Your name]”.
Closing date: 17 July 2022